Prior to the opening of the incline on July 4, 1893, quite a bit of grading and preparation had to be done to Echo Mountain. The pack burros in the foreground hauled everything up the hill including barrels of water, nails, and lumber until a windlass could be installed to drag things up the rough cut of where the incline would be installed. In the distance can be seen the construction tent and to the right can be seen the cut from which the Alpine Division will eventually make its way toward the photographer. attributed to Hill and Company, Pasadena.
Mount Lowe Preservation Society Collection, generous gift of John Robinson